The stage is set for the Coffs Coast’s newest inventors and entrepreneurs to go head-to head in a Live Pitch Competition at the Startup Coffs Coast Final at C.ex Coffs on Saturday June 2 for their share of a $30,000 prize package.
Over the last couple of months Council’s startup incubator Six Degrees has been supporting local entrepreneurs to hone their pitch skills. From that pool of talent, the finalists have now been selected to pitch their ideas to a panel of expert judges and in front of a live audience. This year’s finalists are:
- THRIVE – Sarah Pryor. An app that connects individuals, groups, businesses and organisations to local volunteer opportunities.
- RATE US APP – Lynne Parnell and Lorraine Chowdury. An app for clients in the aged care, disability and education to provide feedback on the service they receive.
- DREAMTIME MENTORS – Matthew Smith. A Zero Waste education consultancy that develops, designs, manufactures and supplies zero waste reusable products.
- MOVE TO MY TOWN – Roger Tindale. Website and app designed for users considering a move to towns and cities in regional and rural Australia.
- KISS ANKLE CO – Craig Hubbard. An ankle brace that works with the joint’s own bio-mechanics to prevent, repair and regenerate ankle injuries.
- SMART TRAIL – Chris Winn. A physical network of low energy bluetooth beacons designed to engage visitors via smart devices throughout the Coffs Harbour area.
- HEALING CHAMBERS – Peter Stone. Set to manufacture monoplace, state-of-the-art Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Chambers for global distribution to a growing market.
“This year we had 21 submissions – the biggest field yet,” said Stephen Saunders, Council’s Section Leader Industry and Destination Development. “The judging panel were very impressed with the range of submissions and narrowing it down was no easy feat. We now have a finalists list of seven start-up businesses ideas ranging from a sports medicine product to technology and eco-conscious products which will be pitched to the panel of experts at Startup Coffs Coast on Saturday June 2. With more than $30,000 in prizes up for grabs, this exciting competition is sure to be a highlight of the day. “
Last year’s winner, environmental scientist and teacher Louise Hardman, has gained international – and royal – attention for her waste plastic recycling machine The Shruder.
Startup Coffs Coast is the biggest start up event on the mid-north coast. As well as the Pitch Competition you’ll see innovative local businesses in Startup Alley and the Innovation Lab, hear experts speak on the ‘Future of Work’, and discover robots in action from Macquarie University.
Pre-register online for free entry on the day at startupcoffscoast.com
Pictured above are some of the Finalists with Stephen Saunders (centre).